livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till manure application

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till manure application
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 11:54:55 +0000

As I understand it, finished compost makes excellent mulch, possibly the
best mulch. If it were me I'd thoroughly compost any manure before
applying it as a soil cover. By that point the nitrogen should be bound up
in compounds by biological and chemical processes in composting. . . ~paul

Good finished compost as a *mulch*? I'm still thinking *drying* here, but in this case not so much resulting in volatilization of nitrogen (as you said, should have been bound during composting), but the death of millions of wee beasties screaming 'eeek-eeek!' as the compost becomes too dry to support them. Maybe compost laid down with a heavy mulch (of straw, leaves, something like that) on top to prevent drying?

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." ~Wendell Berry