livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till manure application

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till manure application
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 12:53:45 +0000

An important aspect often missing from email discussion on
farming and gardening is scale of production, equipment matched to growing systems, and cropping systems rotations and planting / weeding schemes. . .

The surface applied compost, protected under the moist mulch, undergoes a natural process of mineralization and enhances soil fertility and soil microbial activity. ~Steve Diver

Apologies, I should have specified the scale on which I am focussing. The article I'm writing will be oriented toward the garden/homestead scale, not farm scale. And what your last sentence suggests, Steve, is definitely the direction in which I am heading. The big limitation for me is getting enough mulch material (without purchasing big loads of it). I decided early this year to do a lot more mulching of all my beds, but then we had the driest spring on record, and I only got one cutting off the pasture for mulching--ended up not doing nearly as much mulching as planned/hoped. And what subsequent mulching I did do was from the lawnmower bagger. I'm sure those of you who have tried lawn clippings as mulch know the frustrations.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." ~Wendell Berry