livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till manure application

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mtncats@planetcomm.net
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till manure application
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 11:12:30 -0400

Harvey, Paul, et al.,

Nor am I remotely expert, but you described what I'm doing. As this is my
first no-till year, I can only say it looks great so far. As you previously
pointed out, my use of aged horse manure decreased the nitrogen. So I'm
using a lot of it. Everybody's happy so far. I spread a thin layer of aged
manure before topping with (low temp) compost.

The tomatoes are not suffering and are surprisingly drought tolerant. Which
was just broken, thanks to Ernesto. I've never seen happier tomatillos than
this year's. The Mantis may soon be looking for a new home.

Tom (in central Va)