livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] power tools & bought inputs/ Wheat is the new oil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Art Corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] power tools & bought inputs/ Wheat is the new oil
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:28:31 -0500

Morning Paul,

I see your point and agree. I am in between places where I can do much of
anything and as soon as possible I will be starting over also. However I
have lived this way and know what it takes to get it done. I wouldn't trade
my younger years with anyone. I learned a lot that didn't seem important
then but it sure does now.

My biggest problem is I am 67 years old and in real bad health. I have a
serious calcium problem and for years all my joints have been slowly
freezing up. My spine is completely fused and I am all bent over and have to
go on a cane. I have no choice but employ the use of some tools. I am simply
not able to do a lot of the things most people can do.

Even the building of raised beds is a major task for me any more so if I set
out to raise most of my food I would have no choice but use a small tractor
and use the open field method. Having to use one hand on my cane makes it
really hard for me to do anything that requires both hands at the same time.
I must pull a two wheeled cart with one hand rather than pushing a wheel
barrow.

I would love nothing better than to be able to do most things with my bare
hands but that just isn't possible any more. I take my hat off to you though
for your attitude and being to put your best foot forward and trying.