livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Wheat is the new oil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Greg and April" <gregandapril@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Wheat is the new oil
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:53:14 -0600

Replying to Harvey and Paul.

So how does it matter how long it is before it is returned to the soil, so long at it returns to the soil?

I'm not so sure it does as long as it is not out of cycle.

If a crop is grown, then cattle ( and/or other animals ) eat the stubble, then the crop waste feeds the animals, while they manure the field. Is this bad?

There is not 100% conversion to manure, and some of the plant material leaves the fields, as animal material ( bones, muscle, ect..), but, is return the material that stays in fields, is broken down into a form that is easier for plants and soil microorganisms to make use of.

The point is, that crop wastes, leaves the field in different ways, but as long at there is not a long term negative flow of nutrients, the practice is sustainable.

Wheat is a major negative flow crop, but, included with crop rotations, and fallow fields it's not a problem.

If one year a crop ( including stubble ) is used in a negative nutrient way( say for energy production ), as a part of a rotational system, the long term effects should be no worse than growing any other nutrient negative crop. In the end, the negatives and positives have to balance out to a neutral or positive nutrient flow to the fields to qualify as sustainable. It is just a matter of picking and choosing the crop and field use at the proper time, after all you wouldn't plant wheat in ground that had no hope of receiving water.

Greg H.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harvey Ussery" <huboxwood@earthlink.net>