livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Wheat is the new oil: Nutrient Cycling

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Wheat is the new oil: Nutrient Cycling
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:08:21 -0600

And other minerals and organic matter can be returned by importing or from
elsewhere onsite. What's often missed is cover crops, green manuring, and
sheet composting can take advantage of the natural processes to rebuild
soil. Living plants use sun, air, and water to form organic material,
external inputs freely available all over the planet. Certain crops and
weeds pull needed minerals from the subsoil, and when added to the surface
mulch increase the overall mineral and organic content of the soil.

--Henry David Thoreau