livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] commune way of living

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] commune way of living
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:41:24 -0600

Yes, I'm not very familiar with them, but I see they are not an artificial
family in the way of the old hippie communes. Their colonies are composed
of real family groups, extended families.

"The Hutterian Brethren Church today consists of over 350 church
communities in the USA and Canada. They are primarily a kinship group,
consisting of a dozen family names, all descendants of that 400 or so
immigrants from Russia. The Hutterites tend to live in groups of 50-150 on
large farms, called colonies, where everyone is generally related to each
other. The women wear head coverings and the married men wear beards. The
latest modern equipment is used on their large scale farming operations".
and
"But there is an emotional cost to their style of socialization:
depression, anxiety, and alcoholism are problems in many colonies."
http://www.anabaptistchurch.org/hutterian_brethren.htm

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net