livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol's Dirty Little Secrets ---

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Uriel <uriel@nasalam.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol's Dirty Little Secrets ---
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:51:06 -0500

One thing that seems to be being ignored in the discussions on peak oil is the growing production of oil from the oil sands in Alberta, Canada. If what is being reported is true there is more oil there than in Saudi Arabia at its peak, making it the largest deposit in the world. That could sustain the oil market for quite a while, though at fairly high prices since it takes a lot of work and energy to produce that oil. I personally wish the oil would just dry up and go away and force us to change how we do things and go back to simpler ways, but I think it's just going to get messier and messier and probably cause more wars. Didn't we invade Canada once before?
Uriel / SW Missouri

TradingPostPaul wrote:
Well, Greg, if you've heard of *anyone* arguing there IS a realistic
substitute for oil based fuels, I haven't, and I've done a lot of
searching.
BTW I'm not even attempting to educate folks on peak oil. I mention it
because I think it's just a factor we need to take into account along with
others. I wouldn't begin to guess what the disaster trigger will be, or if
the middle class will just gradually slip further down until most of this
country is impoverished. My view is, I don't have to have a crystal ball
because, in any case, what many people need to be doing is protecting
themselves and their communities by simplifying, relearning skills their
great-grandparents had, and living on the land. They can fight the system
or work within the system, but none of that matters if they don't get a
life and gain some independence from the system.
paul, tradingpost@riseup.net