livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol's Dirty Little Secrets ---

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol's Dirty Little Secrets ---
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:26:10 -0600

Not being an expert I don't have to vouch for every detail in the article,
and you're free to state your view on it. But hard facts stand out.
Ethanol *production* and use is not held to the same standard as gasoline
and it is not the clean fuel lobbyists claim. It still pollutes. And other
hard facts we can't get around is the impossible amount of land and fuel
needed to produce it, and we couldn't replace gasoline and/or natural gas
if we starved by using all our land to produce ethanol. And I'm not
advocating other notions like nuclear, coal, PV, etc. Wind power remains a
growing, non-polluting, renewable resource for electric power, but it still
doesn't make liquid fuel for cars. There are no answers to those points.
There is no realistic substitute for oil based fuels. We will do without
when it gets too scarce and expensive. Almost everyone is unprepared and
that includes yours truly. I do not expect everyone to face the hard facts.
You can build a house of popsicle sticks but that doesn't mean a sane
person would try it.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net