livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Activism98201" <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:27:07 -0700

The pellets did get mushed up; had plenty of rain after adding them. This was
over a month ago.

My problem is that this pile started out almost entirely from grass clippings
(hey, this is a rental, them's the cards I was dealt with). There were a few
leaves underneath in black plastic bags which I liberated into the pile.
Other
than the alfalfa pellets I've only been adding food scraps, coffee grounds and
other compost-able stuff in the normal course of day-to-day.

I turned the pile a few months ago, though this doesn't do an awful lot with
such a high concentration of carbons. And that was before the potatoes
started
popping up. The potatoes add a complexity to the issue of turning.

The pile is roughly (L) 7' x (W) 3' x (H) 2'.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA