livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Catherine Fenner" <c1fenner@comcast.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:32:13 -0600

What a visual! I can't imagine what you're contemplating right there in
Everette. There may be no need to sneak out at night with a bucket.

Green would do. Weeds, pea vines, grass clippings. And, make sure there is
enough moisture. The recommendation is that there is enough moisture so the
material is like a wrung out sponge.

I'm not understanding the "sub 80% F" reference. You want 120 to 140
degrees. This can be achieved more easily when the pile is well oxygenated
and a minumum of 3 feet wide and high. You need mass, moisture, air and the
right combination of browns and greens.

Catherine