livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Potatoes growing in a compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Unca Ray <UncaRay@allvantage.com>
  • To: activism98201@verizon.net, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Potatoes growing in a compost pile
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 06:02:17 -0400

Mark;

Interestingly I just learned to intentionally grow
potatoes just that way. A friend of mine, who is a
real Homesteader showed me how to simply throw
some seed potatoes on the ground and mound any
kind of raw organic matter on top of them. Start
low and when they pop up keep adding more around
the stems to as much as 30 inches high. Stop when
they begin to flower as they will form no more
stoma after that. When the vines die take a shovel
and separate your mound of potatoes from your
finished compost!

UncaRay
East Tn.