livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Nancy Babbitt <nbabbitt2003@adelphia.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:05:05 -0400

All this talk about heating up the compost pile. I have read (on an organic garden list, sorry no other references) that more humus is produced if the pile is NOT heated up. This makes sense to me because it's the warm humid climates that seem to have trouble keeping organic matter in/on their soil.

In nature, does the organic matter heat up while decomposing?

Nancy