livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Heating up a compost pile
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:16:09 -0600

A thermometer is nice, but you know the pile is heating up enough when you
poke your hand in and steam comes out. The basics are simple as Catherine
pointed out. Might add that alfalfa pellets will take time to do their job
unless they're made into a mush with water and mixed thoroughly with the
browns, the high carbon materials. Urine is good too, but unless you host
a big beer bust it'll take time to get enough and it won't heat up.

The single best guide I've found is Rodale Book of Composting
http://www.rodalestore.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogI
d=10002&storeId=10051&productId=12697&langId=-1&mag=OG&keycode=002786

Or Eco-Logic
http://www.eco-logicbooks.com/index.cfm?fa=book_details&book_id=118
"In our opinion the most comprehensive composting book in print. From
History of Composting through to Frontiers of Composting with a meander
through worms, compost structures, using
manure, shredders and a whole heap (geddit) more. The ultimate compost
book."

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

--Henry David Thoreau