livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the myth of America feeding the world/ wasCompost tea and bugs in a jug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the myth of America feeding the world/ wasCompost tea and bugs in a jug
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:51:47 -0600

CLA - I have no clue. ACT is aerated compost tea, but his sweeping claim
that "Without ACT it takes a lot of water just to keep the grass growing"
is false advertising. It's a claim that compost tea is essential,
necessary, to grassland. Coming from someone selling the tea machines, I
consider it a deceptive trade practice.

And that claim that "Test were made where ACT and water was applied equally
to side by side areas. The ACT area thrived green while the water only
area suffered damage from drought" is not based on any independent,
controlled studies where the same amount of water was applied to both plots
and both plots were identical in organic matter, cover crop history, and
rainfall. Where's the independent verification? Suspiciously missing.

Personally, I don't ridicule claims that the bacteria in compost tea may
add something to soil nutrients in some way, but these exaggerated or false
claims (including disease resistance) to sell the machines are a disservice
to all of us trying to learn better ways of growing. In fact, foliar
feeding with compost tea has been found in some cases to cause plant
disease. And again, I can't claim to be an expert at all, but I simply
don't have the time or money to waste on things that can't be supported by
reliable evidence or long-proven, widespread practice. And of course no one
can accuse us of keeping anyone else from trying it.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933