livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cattle and water

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Ryan Albinger" <ryalbinger@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cattle and water
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:28:32 -0500

It should have been 20-30 gallons per person per day flushing a toilet (4-5
gallons times 5-6 flushes = 20-30 gal/person/day). And a total of 50-70
gallons of potable water used per person per day average. Cattle often
drink water that is not by definition, potable/drinkable.

If you have to pump water to raise feed for cattle, that isn't sustainable.
Again along the lines, the right conditions equal the ideal use of the land.

Your statement: "Though alfalfa hay normally isn't fed directly to cattle"
Any source of this info. Even anecdotal evidence is justifiable here.
Here in Wisconsin many farmers buy in high testing hay out of Nebraska and
Colorado as alfalfa hay as well as local hay. The purpose to feed hay is
the effective fiber it provides the rumen and the rumen requires to achieve
effective rumination, fiber mat, rumen pH stabilization, and deceratinizes
the rumen papillae. Pellets are unable to achieve these factors
effectively because they lack the 'scratch' factor. Pellets do offer the
advantage of feed blending and use in some feeding programs.

Why do they use ammonium nitrate on Alfalfa?

Ryan