livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea and bugs in a jug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Soilsecrets@aol.com
  • To: ryalbinger@earthlink.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea and bugs in a jug
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:44:19 EDT

Ryan,

You may say that nothing bad can happen concerning Compost tea.  But not being exposed to several million dollars a year worth of damaged crops on commercial farms like we at Soil Secrets are exposed to, you are sheltered from this bad news.  I and my staff of PhD Soil and Crop Scientists must contend with this all the time as we are hired by professional and commercial farmers who got sucked into the Compost tea concept.  As one client said to me last summer after he had purchased a 500 gallon compost tea brewer and hired the famous compost tea person to advise him on using this machine and evaluating the finished product - "She has gone from his hero to zero club".

There are studies where an increase in foliage disease did occur, caused by compost tea.  Check out the City of Seattle's Washington Park Arboretum study done  that showed if nothing else no difference between spraying water and spraying compost tea.  In fact in some cases the compost tea caused an increase in foliage disease in this study.  Dr. Linda Chalker Scott did the study. One of her conclusions and I agree 100 percent because I done 30 years of trying to make compost tea work as well:  "Aerated compost teas have no scientifically documented effect as a pathogen suppression"

Dr. Michael