livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the myth of America feeding the world/ was Compost tea and bugs in a jug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Robert Norsen <bob@bnbrew.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the myth of America feeding the world/ was Compost tea and bugs in a jug
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:16:41 -0700 (PDT)

I have to agree with some of your message, Paul.   Feeding cattle grain and hay is a severe waste. Meat in general is not efficient calories for people.

Some problems with solving the entire problem by eliminating beef.
Beef or other meat is essential in human diet.  We need less than we eat of course.
The market is not going to give  up beef easily
Normal pasture grass produces on typical beef cattle, 1 pound of added weight per day.
It takes a long season, lots of water, huge area to produce an animal ready to send to the feed lot.  Yes the feed lot is an atrocity both for humane animal treatment, degrading to look at or breath down wind and can creat some of the most dread diseases, fails to incorporate CLA in the "finished" beef.   So the product is sadly not good food.

 Without ACT it takes a lot of water just to keep the grass growing.
One advantage of ACT in addition to deep roots and slime that saves water, when plants are short of nutrients they pump more water in an effort to sustain nutrients for plant growth.  Bacteria at the roots, by being eaten by protozoa, feed the plant roots efficiently.  The plants there by need and  use less water.  Proof?  Test were made where ACT and water was applied equally to side by side areas.  The ACT area thrived green  while the water only area suffered damage from drought.

Act provides more efficient food production.
Betsy Ross reported 2 to 4 times the weight gain per day.
The grass, with ACT is building the soil, building deep roots etc,  not detroying the soil.
The ACT enriched grass is good enough to market directly from the pasture.  Much more efficient.
Much more economically useful to the rancher.
Eliminates need for expensive, vile feed lots.
Elliminates the hazard of some dread disease.
Would squash, tomatoes, corn, beets potatoes etc...  produce more food calories per acre?.
With more water, more labor,  heavy loads of fertilizer -  Would we be more than self sufficient for food if we grew, marketed and ate more garden stuff, less meat?  Of course.  Can ACT help make meat more efficient, better food, less imposition on the land?   Looks that way.
Saves one helluva lot of oil and CO2 by elimination of hay, grain, growing, harvesting, transport.

There will be ridicule that ACT can't do all of this and it ain't  proven.  Well  like Tom, one very capable contributor, adds at the end of his message -

" Those who say it can't be  done, please step out of the way of those who are doing it!!"

Science long ago proved that a bumble bee can't fly.  But not being aware of that the Bumble Bee  does fly and makes a little honey every day too.  That is more than you or I can do!!

TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net> wrote:

Skipping over your points I can only agree with, you ask
> But will small areas save Texas from desertification?

Robert, we know the beef industry sucks big time. The country eats ten
times the beef that it needs; cattle are by far the most inefficient use of
land and increasingly scarce (and expensive) fresh water, compared to food
grown for direct human consumption. How many people realize the U.S. is not
"feeding the world" but is a net importer of food? We can't feed ourselves
- the way we farm. Those " vast areas of poor grass land that is grazed by
skinny cattle" should tell cattlemen to give up and get out and leave the
land to people who know how to make sustainable use of it. If people like
Betsy can produce grass-fed beef sustainably (and profitably) in certain
areas, fine. The feedlot factories of the Midwest are obscene. Personally
I couldn't care less how to raise cattle sustainably. Cutting down cattle's
waste of diminishing resources needed by future generations is of more
concern to me. How much of the productive land could be turned into food
production for people instead of hay and grain for cattle? Besides, cattle
should be kept out of delicate ecosystems. I discussed this (tactfully)
with old ranchers in western NM a while back and they're going to keep on
keeping on till they're pushing up daisies in the Quemado cemetery. To get
buried there you only have to tip the guy with the backhoe ... but they
admitted my Genovese were the best tomatoes they tasted since they were
kids eating out of their grandmothers' gardens. Surprising as it may be to
some, grown entirely without compost tea ;-)

I am somewhat familiar with Texas grazing land - at least East TX blackland
clay. My dad had a small grass-fed herd of registered Herefords so we had
pot roast weekly year round. After the drought of '55 and '56, he had me
putting in permanent pasture of Coastal Bermuda and vetch for nitrogen, and
from then on no plowing, discing, or haying. And just in time for record
rainfall in '57, the year of the tornado in Big D. And the old cotton
farmers wore out their acreage and left the land for the banks to put in
permanent pasture. And then nobody knew how to produce any of their own
food.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933