livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cattle and water

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cattle and water
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:04:40 -0600

My statement was "alfalfa hay *normally* isn't fed directly to cattle".
Where'd I get that? From old ranchers of course. They'd bloat and die,
like eating too much clover. In "that ammonium nitrate green" I meant the
color, not that they were applying ammonium nitrate to their alfalfa. I
haven't asked what they're putting on it, but they're irrigating 24/7 from
our acquifer. Hope it clears that up.

You mention "Cattle often drink water that is not by definition,
potable/drinkable". Quite true. But it is water, and it could be used in
many places to irrigate food crops, hmm? Actually, in the Great Plains and
Southwest you see metal tanks and windmills on grazing land, and that's
generally potable water or close to it. And it's helping deplete the
acquifers.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry