livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea and bugs in a jug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: moabgail@frontiernet.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea and bugs in a jug
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:35:09 +0000

Quoting Soilsecrets@aol.com:

Hi Gail,

Running water over and through compost layered on a bed is for the most part
going to give you a leachate of the compost which is all that Compost tea
really is. If the compost is of good quality you will get a solution of tea
that represents the plant available minerals that were in the compost itself.
The benefits of the same process can be seen if you top dress your lawn with
a thin layer about 1/4" deep with some good compost. In just a few days you
should get a nice green up of the grass. Compost tea enthusiasts will often
add other products to the compost tea brewing process such as humates, rock
dust or molasses and the soluble parts of these materials will also contribute
to the mineral profile of trace minerals.

Dr. Michael

Thanks for the feedback. I've been doing this for a couple of years in all of my raised beds because it just seemed to make sense. Everything seems to grow well but I don't have anything to compare my results with. We don't have any lawn up here, just 35 acres of pinion-juniper and ponderosa woodlands. It would be interesting to see how quickly good compost would green up a lawn if we had one.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Gail