livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea and bugs in a jug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea and bugs in a jug
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:51:19 -0500

Regarding compost tea....

I am still building soil in most of my beds. We have a dry branch running along two sides of our land. At the bottom of our land the dry branch runs under the road and continues into a neighbor's pond. To keep debris from clogging his pond, our neighbor put a fence across the dry branch. We collect the debris, the composted leaves, and the silt that collects against this fence. We mix this with our solid red clay and with compost and use the mixture in hugelkulture beds to build raised beds. We also gather half rotten branches and logs for the hugelkulture beds as well as leaves. We mulch heavily and use cover crops in paths and borders in order to cut them for green manure and mulch.

Since my soil isn't great yet, my veggies now and then need help. I have had excellent results with using compost teas.

For our situation we use teas when needed and focus on building soil to prevent problems.

Laura
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins