livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea and bugs in a jug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Compost tea and bugs in a jug
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:17:30 -0600

Thank you all, one heck of a discussion. I'm not a soil scientist, just a
practical grower learning more, so I'm not jumping into the middle of it
;-).

Some observations. Many methods have their uses as well as limitations.
Compost versus compost tea may never be settled among experts. Clearly,
compost tea has its uses coming as it does from compost, but methods of
preparing it vary and some are questionable. I don't doubt for a minute
that compost and tea carry disease supressants.

On a backyard scale, I've used some compost water on container plants,
simply because I couldn't add compost or worm castings to the soil level in
the container. But I didn't give it time to multiply the bacteria because I
just wanted some goodies from the compost that would leach into the
containers without raising the soil level too much. Now, in starting my
growing beds and wide rows I use compost - lots of compost - but trying to
make good use of it I work it into the soil instead of leaving it on top to
dry in the sun and wind.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
listowner

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933