livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] meeting more people?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: William Whisenant <turboyummy@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] meeting more people?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 08:33:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Carrie,

I see you are in northeast Oklahoma. Although I am presently in central Texas, my family has a ranch in Osage County. Are you familiar with Robert Waldrop and the Oklahoma Food Cooperative? If not, check out:

http://www.oklahomafood.coop/

He also moderates a Yahoo discussion group that I read regularly called "RunningOnEmpty2". He lives in Oklahoma City.

Where are you located?

Best wishes,

Bill Whisenant

Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com> wrote:
Could you folks recommend some more places to connect with those applying good soil building techniques?  such as trade journals (seems there was some magazine called market growing?) or groups  ( I think in my area there is a wine growing group -- I need to call them up again to find the specifics).

I've been interested in gardening and sheep for years, but only recently has my computer networking mechanically inclined (he can figure out mechanical things and rebuild things and run a chain saw) husband declared he's ready to get a larger place and more land (we've lived on 2.4 acres for the past 7 yrs -- we have a 21cage rabbitry, multitudes of chickens for eggs and meat, ducks, geese, guineas, a few fiber sheep, and dairy goats, small orchard, and gardens).   He's mentioned that we could rent or possibly work in exchange for housing for a larger operation if there would be some organic growing training involved.

I know in my neck of the woods that the farmer's markets are growing and there have been 3 new ones established in local towns just recently.  One of my friends has increased her garden and is very happy with the steady seasonal extra income the farmer's market provides them.  This past weekend she said that people were telling her she should raise her prices for chemically free produce and they would buy more.  She only has a backyard garden, though a big backyard, I guess I"m saying that with steady soil improvements a person with even only an acre can both put veggies up for their own family and bring in a little income.
Ideas welcome,
Carrie
in NE OK