livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 45, Issue 2

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Diana Shipton <dianas42@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 45, Issue 2
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:42:50 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:03:05 -0500
From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic delusions
...  For some reason there is a perception in my area that it is impossible
(IMPOSSIBLE) to grow organic.  Because I'm still working very hard to
make my gardens decent due to very poor soil, I have been able to do little
to change that perception.  Hopefully this season or next I can change
that perception.  I'm making steady gains : )

That's how most people are.   They want a quick fix for everything - fast food instead of a real home cooked meal, medicine instead of eating well and exercising, and toward our topic: instant and perfect gardens with perfect food from it.

There was an article in our local paper about a group who will do a test to see if organic gardening is really better than conventional gardening.
The article did say that the land has been fallow for at least 10 years which is a good start.
Now I wonder how many years are they going to persue this?    To have a fair comparison, the test should be for 5 or so years to allow the soil to be healed and built up with compost..., to encourage the "good bugs" - snakes - frogs - worms... to find it, and to show that with a proper balance of good soil - healthy plants - and nature's garden helpers : we don't need to poison our food.

What do you all think ?
p.s. I may include this "test" and any comments about it in my blog.
Diana