livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 00:47:36 -0500 (CDT)

How about we look to be a bit more exact on all of this? Tossing it on isn't
right, nor is "about two years."

There are concrete ways of determining when waste is sufficiently rid of
pathogens. The Humanure book spells it out pretty well: it's based on
science; a properly heated pile (you'll have to look it up, but I believe
that it was 160/165 degrees F for a few days) is all that's necessary to kill
nearly all pathogens; at this point it's then only a matter of having it
sufficiently mixed in and broken down with the rest of your materials.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: Grow19@aol.com

perhaps i also don't know enough about this, but find it irresponsible to
suggest that using human or animal waste directly on a garden is a safe thing
to do. best to compost it separately for a couple of years, and use the
compost after that. judy tiger