livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Hank Will <hank_wills@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 00:51:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

Note that I support the use of graywater and
humanure. However, I had to respond to a previous
message. Gail, rather authoritatively, wrote

--- moabgail@frontiernet.net wrote:
> This whole thread has cracked me up.
>
> Of course you can use graywater for growing
> anything.
>
> Plants do not absorbe and are not hosts for any of
> the possible human
> disease causing organisms found in either graywater
> or humanure.
>
> Gail

Please read the following paper. I was able to
download the full-text pdf file.

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/1/397

See also the following links cited in the first paper.
It does not appear definitive that pathogens will
always invade the plants, but it does seem that it is
something that one should be concerned about.

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/71/5/2221
http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/69/8/4915
http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/7/3639

Hank