livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of sheep/ New bunch of

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Gwen Giffen" <ggiffen@1st.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of sheep/ New bunch of
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:37:26 -0400

Gwen
where in Ohio are you? do you just have one llama?

I'm in eastern Ohio, very close to WV. I only have one female guard llama, and don't really plan to try to breed her any more. If you are looking for a llama, email me privately, because I know someone else who'd like to sell a few for very reasonable. ggiffen@1st.net

By Ohio Woolgrowers-- is that Mid States wool growers?

It might be. I've never had to take wool there. They're in Canal Winchester.

Getting things up and running for me is taking a lot
of effort and time, that ios for sure! I just did
some shallow cultivating at ZMoms last night,on a 4 x
4 spot, mixed in some of my rabbit litter, and planted
some peppers I got for free on a freecycle list. we
will see what will happen with the minimal ground
prep-- with the heat we have been having, I was nt
about to risk health by turning over the garden-- i
wish I could convince Mom that perhaps a real "lazy"
way of garening is what she needs to do!!!

Terry

Plants on freecycle is a good idea. I had sheep for a couple of years before someone helped me figure out how to sell the fleeces. Sometimes it just takes the right information...yahoo groups for bartering are great.

You don't mention anything about milk production. Do you milk your
Romney ewes? I'm looking to find a breed of sheep for both wool and
milk for cheese.
Uriel

I do not milk the ewes for my own use, although I have milked them out after they've lost lambs in the past. After the first year, they certainly have enough milk in their udder to use; although not as much as a goat. We have used out goats' milk, but are not this year because we're a little overwhelmed with other projects. Romneys are a nice breed all around. I recall looking up milking sheep breeds a few years ago, but I don't remember what the best ones were; just that Romneys were okay for limited use.

Gwen

  • Re: [Livingontheland] speaking of sheep/ New bunch of, Gwen Giffen, 06/01/2006