livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:46:24 -0400

On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:07:25 +0200, you wrote:

>Pat,
>And if the cucumbers were being grown up on a trellis and quite well away
>from splashing?
>I don't think the roots can take in bacteria like e.coli, for example, do
>you?

I don't know. I was being, as I implied, perhaps over
cautious *because* I don't *know*.

>I confess that last summer we ate a lot of tomatoes that were growing not
>too far from a bin of maturing humanure compost and so far no one in the
>family seems the least bit unhealthy for it. But I wouldn't recommend that
>to just anyone and I would not feed the tomatoes to someone unsuspecting!
>
>Really, do you or anyone else know just what the roots of vegetables can
>take in from greywater? If not where could I find out?

There's a book about using humanure. I haven't read it.

The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure,
Third Edition (Paperback)
by Joseph C. Jenkins
See: http://tinyurl.com/mru2l

You could also try Googling on 'humanure', 'greywater', and
'graywater' (note different spellings; I'd try both).

Cheers,
Pat

--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!