livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol a net energy loss

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Robert Norsen <bob@bnbrew.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol a net energy loss
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:01:30 -0700 (PDT)

Keith, Thank you!   The last 2 hours ( not enough yet) surfing the "journeys forever"  site was the most interesting hours I can remember.  I learned more and read more that I agreed with and want to support than I knew existed.  There IS work going on.  Now if our gov could just recognize and if our national policy could be based on that work instead of where we are and where we are headed!!

How about pointing every political hack in that direction by everyone  advising our reps to promoting
those policies.   Promote PBC  NPR,  60 Minutes.   If we could elect thinking people!  Bob

Keith Addison <gha@journeytoforever.org> wrote:
Hello again Paul

>It's good for people to see all sides of the ethanol question, and I
>welcome anyone from Journeytoforever.

Thankyou.

>Thanks for your input. And though it's a bit off topic I'd like to
>promote alternatives to fossil fuels - when they're realistic. I
>have read the different studies you reference. I'll stand by what I
>said about biogas being impractical on the farm *here* for the
>reasons I gave.

Yet many small farmers and homesteaders in the US are using biogas right now.

>Your other post mentioned the Nepalese using biogas digesters.
>Considering the prohibitive cost of fossil fuels in the foothills of
>the Himalayas, it appears very practical there.

They don't compare it with the cost of fossil fuels. Smallscale
biogas units are in use all over the world.

>As for ethanol, I said yesterday that hydrogen and ethanol are a net
>energy loss, and that it will never produce more energy than it
>takes to make it. Maybe I shouldn't have said "never" since never is
>a long time ;-) So due to wildly conflicting government studies on
>the controversy

They're not wildly conflicting and they're not all government
studies. Eight studies over the last 10 years show a net gain of
between 15,000 and 30,000, only Pimentel shows a 33,500 loss - 45
btu's less than he claimed 10 years previously, despite considerable
changes in farm practice in the meanrtime, as shown. Anyway, who
cares about Pimentel and ADM? It's just irrelevant to a real soil
farmer.

>I should reserve judgment on whether ethanol *can* in theory furnish
>more energy than it takes to produce it. However, as it's produced
>currently it certainly appears to take more energy to produce than
>they can get out of it. I see some uninformed arguments on both
>sides, and I have to be suspicious of government studies promoting
>government subsidies to big cartels for energy crops.

As I said. Would you say that government studies promoting government
subsidies to big cartels for food crops is the only thing going on in
food production? It's not the only thing going on in fuel production
either.

>Whether it's practical at all for small farms or farm families to
>produce their own ethanol remains pretty doubtful due to equipment
>startup costs. So while it seems more practical to use it onsite
>instead of trucking it around like gasoline trucks, there's still a
>snag in the plan.

$200 to build a 5 gal per hour still with a 55-gal oildrum boiler?
Hardly. People are doing this right now on US farms. This is nothing
new, go back 25 years to when Pimentel's figures might have had a
little more reality:

The Butterfield Still -- Farm-scale ethanol fuel production plant
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#butterfield

Farmers in the US were doing that then and a lot more of them are doing it now.

>Another thing I don't see answered conclusively in those studies is
>how much land would have to be devoted to energy crops (corn or
>sugarcane) to supply current or reduced levels of fossil fuels in
>the U.S.

Wrong question. Please see:
"How much fuel can we grow? How much land will it take?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html#howmuch

>And ethanol processing may leave a lot of protein in the finished
>byproduct, but do we want to eat that stuff?

No, livestock do though, and that's what's done with most of the corn anyway

>Just because something is a renewable alternative, unfortunately,
>doesn't necessarily mean it's realistic or practical on a local
>scale. We have to see how it's all going to play out.

It's not just theory. Most people are only starting to think about
this now, when it's beginning to hurt. We've been watching it playing
out in the real world for six years and it's been going on much
longer than that.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever