livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol a net energy loss

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol a net energy loss
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:56:39 -0500 (CDT)

The statistics that I spotted showed something on the order of 160,000
barrels per day. This is one-tenth of their oil output per day.

The US consumes roughtly 20 million barrels of oil per day.

As far as Robert's comments that Brazil is showing a "healthy economy," for
how long do you think this is going to last? And, economic numbers are only
there for the elites to manipulate; they are great for hiding
externalizations: as the UN report indicated, Brazil's agriculture is headed
off a cliff. Sure you can look good on paper (the Soviets were great at
this, and the US is becoming nearly as good), but you can't defy nature and
physics*.

* See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_law_of_thermodynamics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law_of_thermodynamics

Anyone claiming to violate the laws of thermodynamics are snake-oil salesmen.

I'll go so far as to state that WE will NEVER be able to CREATE energy, and
as such, we can only experience net energy loss in any system that we
utilize. It was pointed out (by Paul) that fossil fuels are not a negative
energy loss; well, this is not entirely true since we are unable to duplicate
the process of creating such fuels; they have been one big bank account, free
money; but once this account runs out that's it.

It's a matter of depletion rates, whether fossil fuels or soil. And the
"success" or energy that these bring to our lives depends on the timeframe in
which we measure them: if I were rich I could go around buying up "fresh"
land and producing from it until it was exhausted, sell it and move to the
next, I'm quite certain that I too could show a "healthy economy."

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net>

I don't recall where, but someone pointed out that ethanol only provides a
small fraction of the energy used in Brazil.