livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol a net energy loss

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Ryan Albinger" <ryalbinger@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol a net energy loss
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:49:27 -0500

I'll respond to the comment on resistance from organic farmers. I got some
literature on a oilseed processing/ biodiesel system costing around $7500
similarily sized unit as you mentioned. And I got to thinking about why in
the world I would process $20 a bushel soybeans to make biodiesel and have
leftover mash. Well, I came to the conclusion, I could. On-farm I'd be
able to grow the soybeans, fuel my tractors with biodiesel, and feed or
sell the soybean meal at organic prices. And I could theoretically make
more money doing so and be more enviromentally friendly. A win-win for the
enviroment and me. Addtionally soybeans work into rotation well.
I am learning more about the system before I proceed.
Ryan