livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Biogas etc./ was Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Biogas etc./ was Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:21:29 -0600

There is always some nitrogen loss, and the longer it waits before composting
the more loss. Regardless of what a TV program claimed, frankly I doubt that
any method can turn wood chips into actual finished compost in two months -
unless they're shredded into finer particles first. Another thought: if much
of the carbon compounds are removed in a biogas unit, how much of the carbon
is left for the compost? We do want those carbon compounds in the soil too,
don't we? I don't believe the New Alchemy people said what kind of "garden
compost" they were comparing with the digested sludge. Without knowing the
source and condition of the compost, the comparison isn't useful. And a dry
sludge end product should certainly have a higher percentage of nutrients per
ton than fresh manure, due to moisture loss. Pit composted manure would
likely show the same nutrient increase per ton after drying.

One figure I haven't seen is how much usable methane can be produced from how
many livestock, horses, cattle, etc. And how long it would take for a given
biogas digester to repay it's initial cost, figuring in the labor involved. I
suspect the low return is the reason we've never seen the numbers on payback.
Manure digesters have been experimental for a long time, and from what I've
seen they're always subsidized one way or another, much like ethanol. I'd
like to see something showing it's practical for the small farmer in terms of
investment and ongoing labor required.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933