livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:48:58 -0600

How much of the original nutrients remain is the question, and whether it's
more practical to extract methane and then compost or just compost directly.
I don't doubt their end product is still useful as organic soil amendment.
The concept of composting semi-anerobically in a manure pit is brought up in
Rodale Press' Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening under the topic of Manure.
I'm looking at my 1978 hardcover edition (my later editions are all somewhere
else). They state there is little or no loss of nitrogen or other elements
when manures are fermented in a properly constucted enclosed pit. It is
especially important to prevent the manure from drying out. If fresh manure
is applied directly to a field instead of composting, it should be turned
under without delay to keep nutrients in the soil. And so on. They note that
large digesters for municipal use are mostly aerobic, which I believe would
lead to nutrient loss to the air.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933