livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:45:33 -0600

You can't extract only the combustible gases without losing nitrogen with it.
And you can't put the nitrogen back in the manure. Further, any time lapse
betwen the producting of manure and composting it means serious loss of
nutrients, as studies in Rodale's earlier book on compost showed. My old
copy of Compost detailed the figures, something like 50% loss of nutrients in
a day or two, but I don't have it handy right now to give the exact numbers.

The process of making biogas invariably reduces its nutrient value to the
soil. Personally, in a fossil fuel-deficient agriculture I'd think it's far
too valuable for soil building to waste it producing fuel.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933