livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Kathy Moore" <anichinimoore@hotmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:32:45 -0500

Tom,
Thank you for this information/post. I thought it was pretty sadly funny and I wished I lived next door; I'd be there everyday! Most of the factory guys don't even take the manure to the landfill. Instead they pile it high near the rivers. Our landfill is near the river. Insane to me,but, they wouldn't take kindly to my dislike of their customs and beliefs.

Hence, I have tried to devise a way to collaborate to take manure out of the water supply and "show them the money" instead. Started an OK Composting Council with the help of a friend, an environmental engineer in Virginia.

I've also been trying to learn as much as I can to further advance these concepts, and, eager to learn more. Went to the University of Maine's Composting School for a week and to the Carolinas for training about 3 years ago.

BioCycle has been my partner supplying me with magazines to further demonstrate the benefits of composting for economic development. I'm also a member of the USCC and find their free list serve a great help to my learning curve. Been going to meetings and speaking with legislators with the hope of educating them about alternatives for manure that don't involve lawsuits. Still learning and love this list particularily for my own farm which is organic or natural. The word "organic" has now been legalized by USDA unfortunately.
Thank you again,
Kathy Moore