livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mtncats@planetcomm.net
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fertilizer use by crop in Brazil
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:53:43 -0400

Kathy, I'm sure you're on to something. May not be particularly efficient
use of a basic resource, just more expedient. The following was recently
posted on another list:

"I spent the weekend before last moving horse manure - about 19 tons or so.
My Satoh Bull 630D keeps piling it into a rented hydraulic dump trailer and I
keep hauling it to the dump. This weekend is more of the same, probably more
than 20 tons to go. I feed them one ton and two tons comes out the other
end!"

No idea what his "dump" does with it. Would be much better for all if he had
a use. I suggested that here, also horse country, he'd have no problem
giving it away. He's exactly the sort of horse owner I love to find. 40
tons? Great! When do I come?

Then I offer it to anyone interested. Pickup load or 5 gal buckets- doesn't
matter, just so somebody's making better soil with it. And take a look while
they're here to see my lazy-man's composting method and product.

This guy's got a rented trailer, paying dump fees, and burning a lot of fuel
to no productive end.

Tom (in central Va)