internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] N.C. Bill Limiting Municipal Internet

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "tkarches AT imapmail.org" <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] N.C. Bill Limiting Municipal Internet
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:12:48 -0400

cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com wrote:
On 7/24/07, Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:
For all the ranting and raving against time-warner, their network
fills my needs very adequately and for a reasonable price. Would more
bandwidth be nice? Sure, but who wouldn't say that. And quite simply,
we are not all entitled to service that fulfills our every whim.

You lost me here. Who said anything about being entitled? This is
about rational people wanting to have an effect on policy that has
direct consequences in their lives. But let's look at TWC, now that
you mention it:

(1) TWC is my only option for something that resembles "broadband"
(2) TWC is not providing me true broadband (I get about 5M down, 512K
up even though I'm paying the extra $10 for 8M/1M)
(3) TWC routinely has problems that cause me to lose connectivity.
(4) TWC is owned by a company that has an interest in what comes across my
wire.

did I mention TWC is my only option? How is having one for-profit
option better than having one city-run option? Before anyone suggests
Bellsouth (my other "option"), let me point out that you should google
for "cozy duopoly".

I would suggest Clearwire.

I dumped TWC for Clearwire. Overall slower connection, but with latency that I don't have to measure with a minute hand. Slightly cheaper too.

As long as we are willing to accept the crap that we are served, crap is all that will be served.

Once I get my DTV antenna (on which I can receive better free content than with my $10 cable plan), I'll be TWC free.

I'm using them for VOIP also, freeing me from the evil BellSouth.

Clearwire customer support has been excellent, FYI.

--tom

--
Tom Karches
email : tkarches AT imapmail.org