internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] N.C. Bill Limiting Municipal Internet

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] N.C. Bill Limiting Municipal Internet
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:14:02 -0400

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> that's a lot of ranting and raving but not much in the way of a
> constructive alternative. This bill imposes (or the last version I
> read) profitability constraints that many ventures can't manage to
> fulfill in the timeline it required.

Interestingly enough, I could not find any profitability constraints
in either Version 1, Version 2 or Version 3 of the bill, per the
NCGA website. The closest thing I could turn up is this:

> (2) Shall not subsidize the cost of providing communications
> service with funds from any other noncommunications service, operation,
> or other revenue source, including any funds or revenue generated from
> electric, gas, water, sewage, or garbage services. In complying with
> this requirement, a local government-owned communications service
> provider shall not price any communications service below the cost of
> providing the service. If a determination is made that a direct or
> indirect subsidy has been made, the local government-owned
> communications service provider shall immediately increase prices for
> the communications service in a manner that ensures that the subsidy
> shall not continue, and any amounts used directly or indirectly to
> subsidize the past operations shall be reimbursed to the local
> government's general fund.

Which to my reading only says that the service can't run at a loss, but
must at least break-even. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

The next closest thing was this (from Edition 2):

> (c) At the public hearings held under this section, the local
> government shall make available to the public a written business plan
> for the proposed local government-owned communications service provider
> that, at a minimum, contains all of the following:
>
> <snip>
>
> (4) A plan to ensure that revenues exceed operating expenses
> within a specified period of time after the communications service is
> first provided, such time to be consistent with commercial practices for
> similar projects.
>
> <snip>

Which only refers to what information must be provided at the public
hearings and does not, in itself, impose any operating restraints.

I've read this bill numerous times now, and I still can't see how it
does anything other than prevent local governments from granting
themselves a taxpayer subsidized monopoly which would lock out
future competition. Maybe it's because IANAL and I'm misinterpreting
the legalese, but I'm just not seeing it.

TTYL,

Phil
begin:vcard
fn:Phillip Rhodes
n:Rhodes;Phillip
adr:;;P.O. Box 16905;Chapel Hill;NC;27516;USA
email;internet:mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk
tel;home:919-928-0236
url:http://www.linkedin.com/in/philliprhodes
version:2.1
end:vcard