internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] N.C. Bill Limiting Municipal Internet

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver AT buni.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] N.C. Bill Limiting Municipal Internet
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:42:34 -0400

that's a lot of ranting and raving but not much in the way of a constructive alternative. This bill imposes (or the last version I read) profitability constraints that many ventures can't manage to fulfill in the timeline it required. I think what most of us want is local governments to have the option to create networks when citizens aren't being well served. I also am also for local control (not the state --where I have less say-- telling my local government -- where I have more say -- what to do). Don't worry you'll still have that wonderful time warner network and wonderful customer service they're so known for. Just there may be alternatives as well. If you are in a municipality that wants to create one you can vote against it or the people that support it. Meanwhile your neighbors will be more prosperous.

Rather than fighting this uphill battle to convince all of us that preserving the exclusive franchise of cable and telco is better than having one more alternative should folks vote (given that we haven't all adopted your moral views towards involuntary taxation) -- come up with a practical* alternative that will help bring high speed networks to rural communities that desire them (which promotes economic growth) and frees us from the tyranny of Time Warner's monopoly.

Its easy to be "against" but what are you "for" rather than some half-baked untested political ideology -- give me a *practical* proposoal to free us from the crappy assed service of TWC and BellSouth etc. This is the crux of the problem of the libertarian party and professed libertarians in general, they give us nothing to support until we completely buy every bit of your ideology...which is unlikely (and most people's views soften when they have kids anyhow). Run on the issues, nearly no one cares about the ideology.

-Andy

* Not all of my neighbors can run fibre and BTW I can't even use a dang soldering iron ;-)