internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] N.C. Bill Limiting Municipal Internet

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] N.C. Bill Limiting Municipal Internet
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:16:56 -0400

On 7/25/07, Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:
> You're looking at it. Who else provides broadband around here?

Intrex

Uses Bellsouth (except in Durham where it uses Verizon)

Speakeasy

Uses Bellsouth (except in Durham where it uses Verizon)

Bellsouth

Not available in Durham. Verizon is instead.

Clearwire

Slow, unreliable. (Yes, I've used it.)

Hughes Satellite

Requires a phone for uplink. Cuts out whenever there's a rainstorm.
(The summer camp my wife has worked out for the last 3 years
used this 2 years ago.)

Wild Blue Satellite

Does not require a phone for uplink. Does everything over the
satellite and as such has HORRIBLE latency. As a result, most
VPNs and VoIP doesn't work. Cuts out whenever there's a rainstorm.
(The summer camp my wife has worked out for the last two years
has used this for the last two years.)

Time Warner Cable

Works well, *IF* you're in a good area. I'm in a brand new neighborhood
so I get fairly good service. But, if you want something like a static
IP you *must* get "business service" and pay out the wazoo. Even
residential can be fairly pricey.

maybe others that I'm not aware of...

There are really only two non-radio options: TWC and Bellsouth (or Verizon
if you're in Durham county). *Everyone* else who offers DSL goes through
either Bellsouth or Verizon and are restricted by what they can get from
them (often hobbled by them).

Of the radio based options, there's "Clearwire", which is fairly new and
in my experience somewhat unreliable. (We had them as a sponsor for
the big (as in 2000 people) geocaching event at the fairgrounds over
memorial day.) and there's satellite. Any satellite based system is
going to be severely hobbled by latency and as a result will cause major
problems with VPNs and VoIP. We use Vonage, so that's a deal breaker
for us.

Also, no one's mentioned it yet, so I will. DSL from Verizon in Durham blows
chunks. Unless you're sitting on the CO, speeds suck and cost way too much.
So, that basically leaves TWC as the only viable option. That sounds like
a monopoly in effect, even if it isn't one by the FCC's definition. I suppose
I could do without, but, um, no.

Cheers,
Tanner
--