internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Local Gov't Fair Competition Act.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Local Gov't Fair Competition Act.
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:17:11 -0400

On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:44 PM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:

I agree that most people would agree that working for the "greater good" is a noble
thing.  Make it voluntary and you won't hear me complain at all.

And how are we going to build national transit systems or power grids or hydro-electric dams?   If there's no power to force a sale, then everyone along the route would just request they be paid one billion per acre, and it would end up busting the treasury.  Giving the government limited power to force a sale for the market price is the only practical way I know of dealing with situations where the the community needs land for some reason.  Of course, the power needs to be limited so you don't get situations where the state forces a sale to a private company to build condos, but the principal is sound.

If you put up a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-
of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time
to dry. -- Pratchett
        -- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC