internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Local Gov't Fair Competition Act.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver AT buni.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Local Gov't Fair Competition Act.
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:17:43 -0400

Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov wrote:

In fact, I appreciate that you don't have the exact same viewpoint as
the Standard INW Flaming Liberal. And although I don't necessarily agree
with everything you say, I think you might be surprised to see how much
I would agree with you on certain specific issues.

I'm not sure the majority of the people on here actually fit the "Flaming Liberal" label. Certainly some do. I think the "red state/blue state" "conservative/liberal" categorization is nearly useless and inadequate. I always show up in the libertarian quadrant of most political spectrum tests but since having kids....I show up increasingly near the center. Even that misses the nuances of my actual opinions. I think even the "Statistical" "majority" is more nuanced than they're given credit for. Take any divisive issue like abortion and you'll find that most people aren't served by either "side". Part of the problem is that the "spoils system" and our particular form of representative democracy nearly guarantees a two party system. Traditionally this lead mostly to a left of center party and a right of center party but both parties were pretty firmly grounded in the center. A supposed majority (according to Time magazine) of Americans don't trust the government to regulate abortion so far as to make it illegal (indeed the extreme as found in Ireland http://linuxintegrators.com/acoliver/blog/2007/05/10/x-0314.html) but would like them to occur more rarely. Such a nuanced position, for instance, isn't presently covered by either party.

I get the longing of some for a "third party" but our system doesn't really allow for one. Parliaments allow for a healthy "green party" which forms a coalition with various other parties to create a strong majority. However, in our system if you voted for the losing candidate -- you get nothing really. I think throwing out labels like "flaming liberal" really isn't helpful and frankly a little childish (to use my own label ironically). Granted I say that a little less cleverly than MC did.

-Andy
--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
http://buni.org