internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] FW: Bavarian Hefeweizen

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] FW: Bavarian Hefeweizen
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:09:24 -0400

Why drink good beer icy cold? I thought the technique was reserved for
making swill beer (like Bud and Miller) drinkable? Below about 35 degrees
you kill the flavor and aroma--a good things for some beers, though not for
the ones I am paying good money for.

What is the right temperature? Time to consult the beeripedia:

<http://www.beeripedia.com/index.php/Best_serving_temperature>

> The basic rule about serving temperature on beer is, "the more the alcohol,
> the warmer the serving temp."
>
> 55ºF-60ºF (strong beers, like barleywines, dark ales) 50ºF-55ºF (standard
> ales, like bitters, IPAs, dobbelbocks, abbey ales, lambics, stouts, etc.)
> 45ºF-50ºF (lighter beers, like lagers, pilsners, wheat beers, milds, etc.)
>
> Some styles like pub cask ales are served at room temp.

Or, a nice historical overview:

<http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/beertemp.htm>

David

--