internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Karches <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:31:02 -0500

Greg Brown wrote:
But then we are back to multipledevices. I, for one, and tired of carrying a phone, a pda, a laptop, useful laptop, and 10k other gadgets.

If the iPhone can keep its promises of truely running OS X that will accept installation of new applications then I am sold.
If not it's just back to the 100 pound backpack full of (nearly) single use gadets and their related chargers.

Using a Nokia 770/800 and a Bluetooth phone is hardly 100 pounds of gadgets and their chargers.

While I'd love to have an iPhone, the Nokia 770/800 has distinct advantages :

- an open development platform based on Linux
- useful even without phone service
- screen is bigger than the iPhone
- available today to anyone...don't need to tie yourself to Cingular for 2 years to get one
- using Bluetooth to provide data service allows the phone to be upgraded. You could change carriers and still use the 770/800.

You can use the smallest Bluetooth phone that offers data service and leave it clipped to your belt or in your pocket. Totally out of the way.

Don't knock the 770/800 till you've tried one. Personally, I would go for the 800 which adds a second SD slot and a camera. I believe that the 800 is selling for $399.

--Tom