internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:27:00 -0500

Don't knock the 770/800 till you've tried one. Personally, I would go
for the 800 which adds a second SD slot and a camera. I believe that the
800 is selling for $399.

--Tom

Don't get me wrong, I just want one device that can do the very few things I'd like it to do.  I get tired of hiking off to data centers looking like I'm going to hit the Applachian Trail for a weekend.  Personally I don't think the iPhone is going to be the end-all-be-all device I hope it will be, but I still have hope.

If I had to have a Linux device to carry along with everything else (and I hope it has some kind of serial port so I can connect to my Cisco routers via the console connection) plus a USB for writing files to a CD card, along with some kind of ethernet port so I can at least do some raw TCPDUMPs from a span port then I'd be really happy.  Add the phone in and things would be great.

An OS X device that can accept new apps is ideal.  Linux is great but I find myself using OS X more and more these days.  However I think I could get long pretty well if all I had was an iPhone and and equally small and light Linux box of some kind to do the rest of the things the iPhone won't do.

As for Apple not getting their way with vendors the seem to have a strange ability to actually get vendors to bend the way they want.  Look at the RIAA with the $0.99 downloads and the movie people with the whatever price the movie downloads are.  There was a time when everyone thought these people would break before they would bend to such demands.  The phone people might be the same way.  I hope.