internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:46:54 -0500

David Minton wrote:

From what I read, the software model is currently just like games for the
iPod--applications must be loaded via iTunes. Hopefully this will change by
June.

I have to say that I'm not too hopeful about this. There are a lot of partnerships involved: Apple, the records labels, the movie industry, Yahoo for email, Cingular for voice + SMS. Each of these organizations will have revenue stream concerns. Would Apple want to see a DVIX capable media player, or Cingular a Skype client or ringtone importer?

Those looking for an alternative vision, though in two pieces and without the Apple UI, might want to consider the pairing of a 3G+Bluetooth phone with the new Nokia N800 internet tablet. Phone gives data connectivity to the tablet, which just got a much needed h/w rev from the 770 and is a fully open platform. Hackable pocket internet.

--rt