internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:34:59 -0500

But then we are back to multipledevices.  I, for one, and tired of carrying a phone, a pda, a laptop, useful laptop, and 10k other gadgets.

If the iPhone can keep its promises of truely running OS X that will accept installation of new applications then I am sold.

If not it's just back to the 100 pound backpack full of (nearly) single use gadets and their related chargers.

Greg

On 1/10/07, ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com> wrote:
David Minton wrote:

> From what I read, the software model is currently just like games for the
> iPod--applications must be loaded via iTunes. Hopefully this will change by
> June.

I have to say that I'm not too hopeful about this.  There are a lot of
partnerships involved: Apple, the records labels, the movie industry,
Yahoo for email, Cingular for voice + SMS.   Each of these organizations
will have revenue stream concerns.  Would Apple want to see a DVIX
capable media player, or Cingular a Skype client or ringtone importer?

Those looking for an alternative vision, though in two pieces and
without the Apple UI, might want to consider the pairing of a
3G+Bluetooth phone with the new Nokia N800 internet tablet.   Phone
gives data connectivity to the tablet, which just got a much needed h/w
rev from the 770 and is a fully open platform.  Hackable pocket internet.

--rt
---
Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!   http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/