internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] iPhone?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:01:08 -0500

On 1/10/07 9:34 AM, "Michael Williams" <michael AT metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> I'm a Mac user and fanboy, and I think the iPhone looks/seems really
> cool, but I have a couple of major hurdles to get over:

I followed the keynote reports, and was ready to buy one yesterday until I
learned they would not be available until June, and were $600.

> 1) Let's be honest here: face grease. Maybe I'm just a big
> greaseball (what do you mean I *shouldn't* bathe in a replenishing mix
> of butter and light sweet crude?) but I am constantly having to wipe
> off the screen on my current phone. The iPhone is *all* *screen*.
> That thing would look terrible after a week of being shoved up against
> my face.

I figure they expect you to use a bluetooth headset, or speakerphone mode.
If you think about the demo movies, the user is navigating menus while
speaking on the phone.

> 2) $500? I can't describe, on a family-friendly list, the things that
> phone would have to do to be worth $500. However, I have never been
> much enchanted by the whole concept of smartphones and PDAs and such,
> so maybe that's a great price, I dunno. It just seems, like... wow.
> If I want one, should I sell a kidney on Ebay *now* to avoid the rush?
> Like I say, though, I may just be misinformed, and am totally open to
> being told that, no, really, that's a *steal*.

If it can do everything well, it is probably a bargain. I was considering
spending close to that for a GPS to use in my car. If the iPhone can do that
well, the GPS is one more device I don't need (or rather want) to buy.

David

--
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC : 919.544.0086 : http://www.designhammer.com