internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] not about bumperstickers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] not about bumperstickers
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:06:30 -0400

On Sep 21, 2006, at 1:51 PM, matusiak wrote:

Actually, I have been "politically worked up" for more years than I
can count (Disclosure: I can only count up to six), but I have found
that trying to educate and enlighten people or even open their minds
just a tiny bit results in the most hateful personal attacks I have
ever experienced.

Strangely enough I blame the internet for at least part of this shift in behavior. Twenty years ago a person's primary interactions were with local people, and at least where I grew up, there were people of all sorts of faiths, and so one didn't bring up religion in polite conversation.

Now there's all sorts of insular niche communities online, so people are much more likely to spend time communicating via blogs and email only with people who have more or less the same set of beliefs. This only serves to demonize people of other belief systems, which is why I'm very afraid of the new "seeker" churches which attempt to make 100% of their member's interactions with other members.

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC
michael AT czeiszperger.org