internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:47:32 -0400

On Apr 26, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Shea Tisdale wrote:

And this isn't a red herring designed to a) divert attention from the
original discussion and b) scare people about gun-rights? Exactly how did
you get from me pointing out the law as it stands to some argument over
owning mortars and nuclear weapons? You posted that people aren't allowed
to own them and I corrected you. And that is somehow me advocating for the
ownership of everything else you mentioned - I think not. The slippery slope
of gun-rights...we'll go from personal ownership of firearms to ownership of
tanks and nuclear weapons...if that isn't a scare tactic I don't know what
is.

On the contrary, I'm trying to establish a common goal from which to work out a compromise.

If you believe that some weapons (like a rocket-propelled grenade launcher) are too dangerous for the general population then we have a point of agreement to work from. The next step is only to establish *how dangerous* a weapon has to be before it should be illegal.

If you put up a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-
of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time
to dry. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC